It's for You!
Nurses, Doulas, Childbirth Educators,
Midwives, Infant Massage Educators, Lactation Specialist
Early Childhood/Parent Educators, and Childcare Professionals
Approved for 12 Contact Hours credit by DONA, CAPPA, ICEA, NC Nurses and Lamaze (competencies 2 and 4)
Though many professionals will feel that introduction to The HUG material via the online course or an on-site training is sufficient, others will seek a deeper understanding of the background, techniques and applications of The HUG.
How will HUG Certification Benefit my Practice?
- Boost your knowledge, confidence, and skills with young families. (Study engaging material and receive two phone coaching sessions with Jan Tedder, HYB president.)
- Increase your recognition as an expert on babies. (Be acknowledged on the HUG Your Baby website.
- Increase your business. (Use ready-made course which easily brings new business your way.)
- Enhance your teaching resources. (Access quarterly HUG Your Baby (HYB) Newsletter for Teachers and join the HUG Your Baby for PROFESSIONALS at Facebook.
- Earn Continuing Education credit. (Approved by ICEA, CAPPA, and NC Nurses Assn)
What are the prerequisitics to become a Certified HUG Teacher?
- Be a certified, licensed or credentialed:
Have a Certificate of Completion for The HUG Introduction Part I &Skill Building Class Part II
Submit HUG Teacher Course Registration Form and course fee.
- professional infant, child or maternity healthcare provider (nurses, doctors, physician assistants, midwives, occupational therapists, physical therapists, nutritionists, doulas, childbirth educators, lactation specialists, parent educator and infant massage educators
- or, a childcare or early childhood professional.
What is the training process?
See expected time requirements here
Complete Required Readings and review study questions.
Use the HUG with families and/or teach classes and complete appropriate forms.
Join and participate in Facebook’s Certified HUG Teachers in Training Group. (An invitation to join this Facebook Group will be sent to you after you register.) Each month you are involved in the Certification process contribute at least one thought, experience, question, or concern to this gathering of co-learners. (Contact Jan Tedder to see if this requirement may be waved for non-Facebook users.)
Pass the Certified HUG Teacher exam (passing grade is 70%)
What does a Certified HUG Teacher Receive?
- Access to the online Certified HUG Teacher course (access available for 6 months)
- Parent DVD "The HUG: Understanding the Secret Language of the Newborn”
- Tips and tools for teaching class: “Understanding your Newborn”
- Handout for parents: "Understanding the Secret Language of a Newborn" (Packet of 5, more may be ordered)
- “Ask me about the HUG” button: to prompt questions from staff and patients
- Subscription to two years of The HUG Newsletter for Professionals: Tips for using The HUG with clients, teaching effectively, and supporting young families
- Telephone coaching sessions: Two 30-minute sessions with Jan Tedder (Optional HUG phone coaching for 6 months is available.)
- Certified HUG Teacher Certificate (when course is completed)
- Name and contact information included on our website: Certified HUG Teachers.
- Name and contact information included on The HUG Facebook page
What is required to maintain HUG Teacher Certification?
Every three years: Teach at least two (6) classes “Understanding Your Newborn” OR document four (6) new parent visits using the “Visit with Parent” form.
Make Understanding the Secret language of a Newborn Handout, The HUG Your Baby DVD, and HUG Your Baby E-Newsletter for Parents available to the families you serve. Discounted Handouts and DVDs are available to Certified HUG Teachers
What is the cost of this program?
If you have already purchased this course through CAPPA and want to return to your course or purchase another course, please go to this link.